General Septic System Information for Homeowners
It is recommended that every septic tank be pumped on a routine basis (Every 2 – 3 years). This will ensure that your system continues to function properly and efficiently. Your system may require pumping more or less often depending on three major factors:
- The number of people in your household.
- The amount of wastewater generated (based on the number of people in the household and the amount of water used).
- The volume of solids in the wastewater (e.g., using a garbage disposal will increase the amount of solids).
Although your septic tank absorption field generally does not require maintenance, you should adhere to the following rules to protect and prolong its functional life:
- Do not drive over the absorption field with cars, trucks, or heavy equipment.
- Do not plant trees or shrubbery in the absorption field area, because the roots can get into the lines and plug them.
- Do not cover the absorption field with hard surfaces, such as concrete or asphalt. Grass is the best cover, because it will help prevent erosion and help remove excess water.
- Do divert surface runoff water from roofs, patios, driveways, and other areas away from the absorption field.
Locating & Excavating
Septic Pumping Service, Inc. can locate and excavate septic tanks for you. We usually probe for tanks.
- Standard Tank Location (with probe)
- A Variety of Excavation Services Available to Expose Tank Lids